One thing you never get over missing on a grain-free diet is Mexican food. If you want to know the truth, we went out this weekend and ate legit Mexican food and it was awesome. But we couldn’t always get away with the occasional indulgence, so I wanted to try my hand at a grain-free version of my favorite chicken enchilada casserole, and I’ve got to say, it really was satisfying!
I love making big casseroles because it means we’ll have leftovers (ok, sometimes we have leftovers; we do have four hungry boys to feed!), which means one less meal for me to cook later.
The great thing about this casserole is that it not only eliminates hard-to-digest grains, but it replaces them with vegetables! It’s a win-win. If you don’t tolerate dairy, you can easily leave that out as well, though the cheese really makes this taste authentic!
Here’s how to make my grain-free chicken enchilada casserole:
1 head of cabbage
2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
2 cups of shredded cheddar or jack cheese (leave out for dairy-free.)
1 cup of cauliflower sauce
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup sour cream (make homemade creme fraiche or look for a clean store-bought version like Organic Valley or Kalona Supernatural; skip for dairy-free)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Chop the cabbage in thin slices and set aside.
- Combine the salsa verde, cauliflower sauce and sour cream and mix well to create an enchilada sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the cabbage slices in the bottom of a large casserole dish; top with 1/3 of the shredded chicken, followed by 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the chopped onion, 1/3 of the shredded cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Repeat step four for two more layers.
- Add extra cheese to the top for flavor if you’d like. Trust me, you’d like.
- Cover dish and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook for another 15 minutes so that the cheese becomes a little brown and bubbly on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving with guacamole, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or whatever your heart desires!
Share using a link below for that grain-free friend who may be missing chicken enchilada casserole!
Want more super easy meal ideas for paleo, GAPS, and gluten- and grain-free diets? Click below to get my free e-book “Our Top Five 30 Minute Meals!